Here are some current headlines about the workings of life and nature; it can be a jungle out there:
- A swarm of bees can ground a Boeing 737.
- Captive elephants often don't know how to look after their young because they don't work on instinct – in the wild, calves are looked after by the herd and this is how young females learn mothering skills.
- Japanese whalers in the 17th Century buried the foetuses of the pregnant whales they caught in a special graveyard facing out to sea.
- Sharks can have virgin births.
- Humans' ancestors began walking upright while still living in trees.
- Many species, including humans, have natural "circadian rhythms" set to match the standard length day on Earth.
- It is possible to wake up from a 19-year coma.
- Obesity is so revered by Mauritania's white Moor Arab population that some girls are force fed.
- Intelligent children are more likely to become vegetarians later in life, a study says.
- The secret to happiness is accepting misery.
Read more news >>