Manifesto Translations Prose & Poetry Letters to B Musings Words Culture & Music Other Works Copyright
Official Site Q & A Biography Discography Concert Reports Magazine Reports Articles News Reports News Videos Pictures Pick of the Day Links

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Words For a President

Someone asked me the other day if I had the chance to give US President George W Bush a gift, what would I present him with.

I am fond of collecting quotes and sayings to put into a little black book I have, which I open to read for advice and inspiration from time to time.

If I had the chance I would present him with such a book, with wise sayings for him to ponder over, each accompanied by a haunting image of Iraq today, which he helped to create.

It is easy to talk with hindsight, I know, but then I think I have that right as I've been blogging on the Iraq issue for nearly four years now, and my foresight has seemed pretty accurate.

I'm no more perceptive that the common man. It's mainly a matter of common sense.

No one can tell if Bush's legacy - which will become America's legacy whether the American public accept or not, because Bush leaving office doesn't quit them of the responsibility of Iraq - will be one to bring peace and stability to the Middle East.

If that does happen however, the price paid will have been a very high one, built on the foundation of the innocent dead, mostly women and children.

If that peace one day comes, may it be appreciated all the more for the sacrifices made for the few, by so many.

Words of Advice for a President

In case you're wondering, here are some of those sayings I would put into that black book I'd advise Bush to keep by his Bible for bedtime reading:

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."
Albert Einstein

"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves."
François de la Rochefoucauld

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel. He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it."
Mark Twain

"If men could only know each other, they would never either idolize or hate."
Elbert Hubbard

"All through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall, always."
Mahatma Gandhi

"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary. The evil it does is permanent."
Mahatma Gandhi

"Some of the best lessons are learned from past mistakes. The error of the past is the wisdom of the future."
Dale Turner

"Nothing is easier than denouncing the evildoer. Nothing more difficult than understanding him."
Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky

"Ideology separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together."
Eugene Ionesco

"When a good man is hurt, all who would be called good must suffer with him."
Euripides

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."
Confucius

Read more: About words | My Life | The War In Iraq >>

Creative Commons License

© CC License 2004-14. Unless otherwise stated all poetry, prose and art are the original work of the blog owner.