Things of the First
- The Turkish city of Istanbul is 6,000 years older than previously thought.
- After 60 years in production seven-inch vinyl records are still being released, whereas new technology is changing decades of finger practice elsewhere - three billion e-mails are sent in the UK daily.
- Seven senior lawyers convened in New York last month to reconsider the case against Shylock, Shakespeare's money lender in The Merchant of Venice - and this time Shylock won.
- In the early 1900s blue was for girls and pink for boys.
- Two young German children were stopped by police from eloping to Africa to get married in the sun.