Manifesto Translations Prose & Poetry Letters to B Musings Words Culture & Music Other Works Copyright
Official Site Q & A Biography Discography Concert Reports Magazine Reports Articles News Reports News Videos Pictures Pick of the Day Links

Saturday, March 20, 2010

What Blessed Beauty Taught Me

i

my arms pressed around you
I whispered all the stories
I knew; of jewelled crowns
and fairytale princes
wishing to be wed,

blessed beauties dying for love,
love-tales wrought
with silken thread
by centuries of dreamers
like you and I, I said:

you gave me the chance
to breathe, and the courage
not to breathe with timid breath
;

you taught me to love the ugly
in me; that sleeping is not death
when you're in there with me
;

ii

for hours we talked
as though in half-sleep,
flame on flame, and deep
on deep,

I weaved roses
into your hair, and kissed
your rosebud, wetted
with the lingering hand
of gossamer dew, I knew:

you gave me your beauty, taught me
how life is between accents
of earth, dew and fire
,

you baptised me in your scent,
you taught me how to see
stars and out-blink their lights
;

iii

we ploughed
and furrowed through
in fields of sky,
squeezed the very juice
of the sun,

until like dew and time
we all must fade
into a lonelier hue,
we held each other still,

you taught me a secret melody
that sings to me every moment,
even if you should go away
,

iv

stretched out on the grass we
watched the wind blow
the sky's cloud of her hair,
the garden had fallen still,

wearing night's veil, her face
blinking from the shadows,
the sun's red lips sang us
a love-song until stars
grew out of the air,

you taught me how the day
remains shining its light
even through the night
.

Read more from The Body Gospel >>

Creative Commons License

© CC License 2004-14. Unless otherwise stated all poetry, prose and art are the original work of the blog owner.