Manifesto Translations Prose & Poetry Letters to B Musings Words Culture & Music Other Works Copyright
Official Site Q & A Biography Discography Concert Reports Magazine Reports Articles News Reports News Videos Pictures Pick of the Day Links

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Reading Sara Teasdale

Reading poetry

i

we were in the lounge;
I was reading Sara Teasdale,
lost in rhyme and reason
but looking for none;

the snow was falling outside,
huddled together
by an open window
shining bright in the sun,

it all felt so clean,
as a blank page
like a new beginning,
but for me, we were done;

ii

though the snow imitates
apple blossoms, they go a wintry way,
the bright that shines
is false, it does not warm,

like a candle lit at day,
I was lost, not in you,
but from you, like dark from light,
or a snowflake lost in a storm,

I was gone from you,
though I was still sitting
there reading lyrical poetry,
I was an empty form.

iii

I knew you loved me,
so I kept silent
in the silence of the
falling snow;

but I am I, who longs to be
lost in senses rushing
to blow the dust
off secrets from the low,

a boy born in April,
wanting to plunge deep
from the arrow of spring and
summer's bow;

iv

there are things I
cannot know, like
how to catch in your palm
the far-blown rain,

or how to stop
the rushing wind
screeching past
on an invisible train,

but I know the heart
needs to be honest,
to be true and open
even to the pain;

v

so I stopped
reading Sara Teasdale,
and with all my courage
looked at you,

and I saw
how your eyes
reflected mine,
that you knew it, too,

we were no longer
of one mind and body
melting like snow,
we had divided into two.

Read more from After Love >>

Creative Commons License

© CC License 2004-14. Unless otherwise stated all poetry, prose and art are the original work of the blog owner.