Manifesto Translations Prose & Poetry Letters to B Musings Words Culture & Music Other Works Copyright
Official Site Q & A Biography Discography Concert Reports Magazine Reports Articles News Reports News Videos Pictures Pick of the Day Links

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Home-made Horror for Halloween

Happy Halloween Banner

It's Halloween today.

Whether we love it or loathe it, its modern incarnation has become a celebration of our fascination with the scary and the bizarre and that time of the year when we give out a seasonal boo.

Therefore, in the best ghoulish fashion for Halloween, I've decided to host a short horror film at the blog, which my nephew and I filmed in 2005. It was a family affair with me, two nephews, their wives and one great-nephew in tow to shoot a story I devised about a cursed street where people mysteriously disappear. We set up accompanying websites to add gravitas to the plot, and the film was shot and edited with what is known as cinéma vérité techniques, to look like it was filmed with one hand-held camera, including jump cuts similar to those found in amateur home movies.

It caused quite a stir during its initial release, especially the story's "Cromwell's Curse". I've had a few horror writers email me about the so-called "curse" for more information believing it to be real and wanting to research it for their own books. When I informed them it was a background story I had written as a device plot for the filmed short, some in turn used it as a reference for their own works.

So, for the viewing pleasure of the blog's readers I present this small slice of home-made horror re-edited and re-packaged for Halloween 2008. No events depicted are true, and all the cast are portraying fictional sides to themselves. It's just a bit of fun, so I advise it's watched with that in mind and in the spirit of the spooky season.

And whether it's a trick or a treat, I'll leave for each individual decide.

Home-made Halloween Horror

Cromwell's Curse Banner

Missing! Last Seen on Cromwell StAli Yildirim)
Warning: This film contains some strong language,
which some viewers may find offensive.

<< Read more about My Life

Creative Commons License

© CC License 2004-14. Unless otherwise stated all poetry, prose and art are the original work of the blog owner.