Manifesto Translations Prose & Poetry Letters to B Musings Words Culture & Music Other Works Copyright
Official Site Q & A Biography Discography Concert Reports Magazine Reports Articles News Reports News Videos Pictures Pick of the Day Links

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Aydilge: The Girl From The Moon

"Cultural Mosaics" by Timi, writing from Kisvárda, Hungary

Aydilge Bu gece ben ay - Tonight I am the moon, says Turkish rock singer Aydilge in her song and if I think about the feeling she creates with her songs, I would say she is damn right.

When I was in Istanbul, a friend of mine advised me to listen to a new singer, and I got this album as a gift from him. When I arrived home I was curious to get to know the songs because this friend of mine is a rock musician and I was wondering what kind of music this can be if he says it's great.

Aydilge is not unknown in Turkey, she has been on the agenda with her novels. A writer, who starts singing after completing two successful novels and finishing university being the best student of her major, American Culture and Literature. An interesting beginning.

Lying on my bed I pushed the play button of the cd player, and immediately I had to stand up. This is not the kind of music you can keep lying on the bed while listening to. After I listened to the album twice in a row I already knew the refrains of almost all of the songs.

Yalnızlar yalanlar mı söyler/Canım hiç acımaz mı derler (Do those who are lonely lie/Do they say their hearts don't hurt)

Aydilge wrote simple refrains, with lots of repetition and because of this the songs became easy to remember, the sort of refrains you cannot get out of your head. She might be criticised for such "simple" lyrics and for the continuous repetition - it came to my mind, but immediately I remembered one of our greatest poets, Endre Ady whose favourite tool was repetition - and he used it quite successfully. Simplicity is sometimes the best way to get a message through.

Aydilge is also faithful to her name: the first and the last song of the album contains the word Ay (Moon). And the Moon doesn't only appear in the lyrics. Somehow the whole atmosphere of the album is interwoven with moonlight, as if you were sitting on the veranda listening to this fragile young woman playing her guitar and singing about love, hate, loneliness, music and all the secrets of life on a late summer night with a full moon shining over your head. What caught me most, besides the rockish but melodic music, was Aydilge's voice. We cannot say she sings better or has a better voice than Sertab Erener or Sezen Aksu but definitely there is something in her voice, some strange, mysterious moonlight, vibrating energy and playfulness that raises the value of the songs and makes it impossible to forget this curious woman.

I called Aydilge "the girl from the moon" in the title, and it is not by chance and not only because the word appears so frequently in her lyrics. I think she already described herself like that, as well:

Bu gece ben ay (Tonight I am the moon)/Bana aksın uzay (Space should flow to me) -

- and it will. I wish Aydilge all the best, I truly think we will hear a lot of her 'moonlight songs'.

For more information visit: www.aydilge.net

Other guest contributions >>

Creative Commons License

© CC License 2004-14. Unless otherwise stated all poetry, prose and art are the original work of the blog owner.