Words of Meaning
The Beatles Story museum director, Jerry Goldman, on hearing the Beatles band had been invited to Israel 43 years after it banned the group.
"Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away."
A quote from the 2005 romantic comedy Hitch
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
Credited to Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
"Next to a battle lost, the next saddest thing is a battle won."
The Duke of Wellington, following The Battle of Waterloo (taken from the 1970 film Waterloo)
"Our conscience is the pillow we sleep on at night. Whether we fill it with rocks or the softest down is up to us. A guilty conscience can make for a hard bed at night, and during the day, you can't hold your head high with a heavy conscience."
Ali Yildirim (read more quotes)
- The word "quantum" is a type of unit or can mean "a measure of something".
- Swedes have a word for a man who visits prostitutes - "torsk".
- A "skinny", "soya", or "caramel latte" are all terms for a type of coffee you can buy, even though coffee connoisseurs don't consider it "proper coffee".
- "Plain vanilla" is a term for basic financial instruments such as shares.
- CAYG is an acronym used by McDonalds workers meaning "Clean As You Go".
- "Force majeure", meaning a superior force, is also the term given for a clause which allows the ending of a contract under extraordinary circumstances.