A short list about words selected from the news and entertainment headlines:
- According to an online survey, clichés like "at the end of the day", "24/7" and "literally" are among the most reviled.
- Bad language can sometimes be used to energize normal language.
- Logophobia is the obsessive fear or dislike of words.
- An aphorism denotes an original thought, spoken or written in a laconic and easily memorable form, such as "love is never having to say you're sorry".
- Some Albanians settle family feuds through an ancient code called "Kanun" which allows revenge to be exacted on any male adult member of a family, but precludes entry to that person's property. Kanun is Ottoman Turkish for "code of law*", which is derived from the Greek kanōn meaning "rule". It has worked its way into the English lexicon as the word "canon".
<< Want to read more about words?