Things of Words and Numbers
- Turkish is the third most blogged language on Blogger.
- In 1992 a prominent US linguist stunned the academic world by predicting that by the year 2100, 90% of the world's languages would have ceased to exist.
- The UK produces 8% of the world's scientific papers, the third most behind the US and China.
- There are still cowboys all over the West in America, from North Dakota down to New Mexico, partly because there is still some rugged terrain where the horse remains the best way of getting around.
- Wild animals in zoos in Gaza have to be smuggled in tunnels under the border.
Rick Klau reveals that Turkish is third most blogged language on Blogger
- Turtles can swim 900km (559 miles) in a month.
- Irish boy band Boyzone sold more singles than British boy band Take That in the 1990s in the UK.
- Deadly brain abscesses should be added to the list of risks of having a tongue piercing, say doctors.
- Each person has 1.5kg of probiotic bacteria in their digestive system, on average.
- Fidel Castro stopped smoking cigars in 1985.