Things of Words and Language
- The average person speaks 370 million words in their lifetime.
- Two studies suggest that the ability to combine sounds and words to alter meaning may be rooted in a species of monkey.
- The F-word is currently not on the list of banned words in the Irish parliament, unlike brat, buffoon, rat and scumbag. It has come under review after a lawmaker swore heavily during a budget debate.
- Teachers in England are warning of the damage caused by slang and its "sabotage" of literacy, while social micro-blogging site Twitter is being used by the US Geological Survey to get instant public reaction to earthquakes.
- The Na'vi language spoken in James Cameron's new film Avatar took four years to write and develop.