Manifesto Translations Prose & Poetry Letters to B Musings Words Culture & Music Other Works Copyright
Official Site Q & A Biography Discography Concert Reports Magazine Reports Articles News Reports News Videos Pictures Pick of the Day Links

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Singular Mutism

My darling, let's not get into gender.
       Let's just say I'm a member
of men with singular mutism;
sometimes there are just things
we are unable to talk about--
even to our best friends.

       You know: these things
we call feelings we maroon
far from the safe harbour
of our most precious dreams,
too frightened to surrender
what cannot be won by war--
the treasure at a heart's core.

       But even when I fail to speak,
my silence is filled with you
and all the things part of you:
I'm muted in awe; I'm weak
to what makes me strong,
and my silence isn't dumb--
even if you can't hear it,

listen out for it when love fails
to calm a nervous tongue,
hear the mind ring when
I text my feelings to you
by the light of half past
midnight, as I sit alone
on my roof staring hard
at stars alight-- in my heart

even when I cannot say it,
know I am always yours;
just don't blame my gender.
       Say I'm a member of men
with singular mutism, and our
love is the art of ventriloquism.

Read more from Unlocking Eros >>

Creative Commons License

© CC License 2004-14. Unless otherwise stated all poetry, prose and art are the original work of the blog owner.