Take Joy in the Living World
The beauty of this world of ours never fails to fill me with awe. Never. To be granted a short space of time to enjoy its beauty is such a gift, that I'm unable to understand how the gratitude one feels doesn't overwhelm or humble more of us.
We are so lucky to be alive in this world of ours. Reach out. Feel the beauty of bark under the palm tickle your life lines, the scent of rain on wood dampen your nostrils, your head dizzying with the earth in motion. Always working, always beating, from hearts as tiny as an ant to as large an ape, turning the wheels our ecosystem is driven by. And we are part of it. We get to experience it and take part in it.
How great is that? We are tied to the tide of the sea, the seasons change us as surely as they change the ancient tree, our star brethren, atoms that form you, form me - we are an amazing family.
I feel so lucky to be part of it. The joy I feel every day is indescribable. Every day is an opportunity to do your bit in the world, to show some kindness, to share words, feel emotions - good and bad - to experience life in all its colours. So, when I am asked: Where does one get inspiration? I answer: From the joy I feel for this world, and the immense gratitude I feel for being allowed a short time to be part of it.
It goes without saying that for everyone the trigger will be different - for me very often it's music. Put on a sad melody, I'll write you a sad bit of poetic prose. Or I can feel so happy, I need to think of something sad to contain me. I don't need to be out of love to write about being out of it. I don't need to be in love to write about the intoxicating effects of it. I'm always in love. I'm in love with my world.
I don't need to be swimming right at this moment to be able to describe damp hair glued to my forehead, or the tightness of pores as the salted spray dries under the lamp of the sun. The bitterness on the tongue. The sweet spit at the back of the throat. The warm lap of water at the neck. The cool breeze of deep blue sea rustling mysteriously beneath your feet.
No. I'm not swimming in the sea on a hot summer's day as I write this. But I once took the joy of swimming. As I have of love. And even from the lessons of falling out of love. Take joy in everything, and the focus that gives you will let you record it as your talent translates or allows.
We often think that a musician has to stay pissed at the world in order to create, or a great artist must suffer greatly for his art. But what we rarely acknowledge is that there is an underlying joy in the work of the greatest artists, even if they are presenting a painful world-view.
The timbre that joy resonates is a golden thread sewn into every great work of art; whether you look up at the stars or look at a Michelangelo, the electrical tremor felt in our DNA circuits comes from the same joyful buzz. If you want to be inspired, keep the joy in your heart.
If you want to be reminded that you are a creation of this amazing world, take joy in being part of it. Allow others - every living thing - the space to do their bit and feel the same.
Suggested viewing: BBC One - Judi Dench: My Passion for Trees
Read more: My Life | What I have to say >>












<< Back to Main Page