Manifesto Translations Prose & Poetry Letters to B Musings Words Culture & Music Other Works Copyright
Official Site Q & A Biography Discography Concert Reports Magazine Reports Articles News Reports News Videos Pictures Pick of the Day Links

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Email Extracts

An email from Jelena, in Serbia:

Dear Ali,

I really really like Tarkan and his songs and I am wondering where I can get or download some Tarkan songs from net. I live in Serbia and unfortunately I can't find nothing about him here. I mean some videoclips. Please help...and thanks...

Jelena

Dear Jelena,

The link to Tarkan's old official site that provided his music videos is no longer active. However, with online video storage becoming popular, you can also find an array of Tarkan videos at places like YouTube.

See also: Where can I get Tarkan's music and videos?

_____________________

An email from Mads Friche, in Denmark:

Hey Champ, nice site about Tarkan!

I recently had a discussion with one of my friends about Tarkan and his music production and I hope you can help us out! Both me and my friend are DJ's, but we havent been able to find the definitive answer for the following:

Did Tarkan ever make a song called "Kiss Kiss"? My statement is that he didn't make a song called "Kiss Kiss", and that the rumor comes from Holly Valance's - "Kiss Kiss", which uses some sounds from Tarkan's - "Şımarık"!

So, did Tarkan make a song called "Kiss Kiss"?

Kind regards, Mads from Denmark

Dear Mads,

I hope you didn't make a bet with your friends, because you are wrong. Tarkan's song did not get termed "Kiss Kiss" because of Holly Valance's cover. Tarkan's Şımarık was unofficially called "Kiss Kiss" by his fans long before Valance sang the cover version to Tarkan's song and recorded a UK number one hit.

Valance is also not the first person to sing an English version of this song. Female solo artist Stella Soleil released a more faithful version of the song in the US, with Tarkan's vocals still in the background. Valance took the lyrics from this version and the composition of Tarkan's Ned Devine remix (only avaliable on a club promo 12-inch LP) and released the song you know as "Kiss Kiss". So, she did more than "borrow sounds" as you put it. Check her single release, if you have it, as it credits Sezen Aksu, the composer of the piece at the top above everybody else's name. Alternatively read the BBC article at the time, who correctly reported Valance's hit as "a cover version of a song by top Turkish pop star Tarkan".

For links and other information see also: I am looking for a Tarkan song with kisses in it. Do you know what it's called?

Kind regards straight back at you...Champ.

_____________________

An email from Heidrun Kille, in Gottingen, Germany:

Dear Ali,

My English is not so good, but I want to write a letter to you.

I am surprised, that you think so negative about the success of the latest Tarkan cds. On my opinion number 15 is a good result only 1 week after the release of "Bounce", the media control charts are the selling charts and the most important charts of Germany.

I think there is no big "outcry" at this moment, because there is nobody in the media (TV or newspapers) who waited for Tarkan. Germany is not Turkey , for many people Tarkan in 1999 was a "one-hit-wonder" and also some of my friends wondered, that Tarkan is still singing!

I think we should be patient and wait some weeks before we decide, if "Bounce" and "Come Closer" are successful in our eyes.

For me "Come Closer" is really much better than I expected!

Greetings from Germany! Heidrun

Dear Heidrun,

Thank you for your mail. It seems that you write to me about the Tarkan news report published on this blog on April 11, 2006: "Will the Fire Ever Start?" by Adelind Osmanlı.

News of any kind at Tarkan DeLuxe is published without hindsight and in good faith.

There are occasions when Tarkan fans from across the world email me with news about the star. I publish their selected contributions or complete reports amongst the news posts that I write, without censorship and full credit. This does not mean that this is necessarily my own personal view on the subject. I just make sure it is verifiable, written well and with a formal tone.

If you ever have news to the contrary, with evidence I can check, then I'll be only to happy to publish it.

As to the points you make, some of what you say may be true - it may indeed be too early to tell. Tarkan fans I'm sure are hoping that a second single will rejuvenate album sales.

However, certain things are apparent.

1. Bounce did not rise from its number 15 slot in succeeding weeks. It fell out of the top twenty.

2. Tarkan has not as yet achieved, let alone surpassed, the success of his Turkish language releases in Europe, namely the single Şımarık and his compilation album Tarkan. When he does this, I am sure he and his fans will see his English excursion into music as a success.

3. Tarkan's past successes cannot be devalued by today's success. He has made a name for himself in European pop history, irrelevant of whether he gets the high sales he hopes for with Come Closer. Fans should enjoy the music, critically evaluate it and see top chart hits as a bonus.

And as you correctly state, only time will tell whether he'll hit the top side of the charts.

Thank you for your feedback. It is always welcome.

_____________________

An email from Nadine, in Dublin, Ireland:

Hi there Ali,

My name is Nadine and I am a German national living in Dublin. I just wanted to send you a quick thank you for posting all these glorious Tarkan lyrics and translations online! You put so much effort into it it's so great! I really admire your work and just wanted to let you know! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to say all these incredibly sweet and corny things to my Turkish boyfriend....

Also it's great to finally understand Tarkan, whose music I've love since I was 17... I always loved the music because it's so passionate and emotional and there is really no need to understand every word because his voice says it all.... but of course it's even better now that I understand it exactly...

Thanks again, Nadine

* * *

An email from Mhairi, in Scotland:

Hey there!

I just thought I would mail to say well done on the Tarkan songs translations. I listen to those songs all the time, and had no idea what they meant. Your blogspace is really fun and interesting, and not many are like that.

Keep up the good work.

* * *

An email from Richard, in Essex, England:

Ali,

You share so many nice things with us that I wanted to share something with you! Because of your blog and who you are, I believe that:

1. There are at least two people in this world that you would die for.
2. At least 15 people in this world love you in some way.
3. The only reason anyone would ever hate you is because they want to be just like you.
4. A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don't like you.
5. Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.
6. You mean the world to someone.
7. You are special and unique.
8. Someone that you don't even know exists, loves you.
9. You have fans too!
10. At least one person a day is saying THANK YOU to you!

To Nadine, Mhairi, Richard and to all those who always find the time to say thank you: With such kind sentiments you and hundreds like you have have adopted this blog and my works. I place them in your care. Thank you very much.

Creative Commons License

© CC License 2004-14. Unless otherwise stated all poetry, prose and art are the original work of the blog owner.