The Orchard, the world's leading distributor and marketer of independent music, and Mü-YAP, the Turkish performing rights organization for phonographic producers, today announced that The Orchard has been selected to serve Mü-YAP as its global and distribution partner. Through this partnership, The Orchard will distribute and market approximately 80% of Turkey's music.
"As the literal crossroads between the East and West, Turkey has a magnificent cultural and musical history," said Greg Scholl, chief executive of The Orchard and managing director of Dimensional Associates, parent company of The Orchard, eMusic, and Dimensional Music Publishing.
"Turkey's genres are dazzling in their diversity: pop, rock, arabesque, belly dance music, jazz, classical, folk, and Ottoman classical. We look forward to developing new global audiences for this rich catalogue while at the same time, ensuring Turkish people everywhere have access to the music of their cultural heritage."
Mü-YAP's catalogue includes Turkey's most renowned pop artists such as Tarkan, 2003 Eurovision Song Contest winner Sertab Erener, as well as master Turkish musicians including Burhan Öçal, and sister-duo Güher and Süher Pekinel.
Representative artists and songs by genre include:
- TURKISH CLASSICAL: Zeki Müren, Müzeyyen Senar, Safiye Ayla;
- CLASSICAL: Ezgi Saydam, Güher & Süher Pekinel, Anjelika Akbar, Cihat Aşkın;
- JAZZ: Aydın Esen, Burhan Öçal, Kerem Görsev, Tuna Ötenel, Okay Temiz, Ayşe Tutuncu, İlhan Erşahin;
- POP: Tarkan ("Shikidim"), Sertap Erener ("Everyway That I Can"), Serdar Ortaç, Sezen Aksu, Mustafa Sandal, Ajda Pekkan;
- ROCK: Duman, Erkin Koray, Bulutsuzluk Özlemi, Cem Karaca, Mör ve Ötesi, Şebnem Ferah, Pentagram (a.k.a Mezarkabul), maNga;
- HIP-HOP: Ceza, Sagopa Kajmer;
- NEW AGE: Fahir Atakoğlu, Tuluyhan Uğurlu, Hasan Cihat Örter;
- ARABESQUE: Orhan Gencebay, Sibel Can, Ebru Gündeş, Ferdi Tayfur;
- BELLY DANCE, ORIENTAL MOODS: Harem, Bülent "Kirpi" Altınbaş, Mustafa Kandıralı, Hüsnü Şenlendirici, Selim Sesler ("Road to Kesan");
- FOLK: Neşet Ertaş, Zülfü Livaneli, Arif Sağ.
About Mü-YAP and The Orchard
Founded in 2000, Mü-YAP is a non-profit organization for the neighbouring rights of phonographic producers. It also represents Turkish phonographic producers at the international level as the national group of the International Federation of Phonogram and Videogram Producers (IFPI). Currently, Mü-YAP has 85 members and represents nearly 80% of the music industry in Turkey.
The Orchard represents an unprecedented digital catalogue of the best independent music from around the world, with a catalogue that includes music from multi-platinum acts such as Green Day, Coldplay, Tarkan and Ray Charles from their early years, before they were signed to major labels. The Orchard works closely with all of the leading digital retailers and mobile operators worldwide to market and sell this catalogue and also assist them as a close merchandising partner with respect to independent music in general.