Manifesto Translations Prose & Poetry Letters to B Musings Words Culture & Music Other Works Copyright
Official Site Q & A Biography Discography Concert Reports Magazine Reports Articles News Reports News Videos Pictures Pick of the Day Links

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Tarkan Deluxe Talk

C.Lopez writes:

On reading your wonderful blog about your tastes, I noticed you mentioned one of Orhan Pamuk's books, Beyaz Kale. I have not as yet read that one, but have finished reading My Name is Red, Snow and New Life. He is very good reading. I tried to get Istanbul, but it was sold out.

Do you have any suggestions as to other contemporary Turkish authors?

Also, I'm a fan of Bülent Ersoy and Zeki Müren. Do you know of any translations of their songs?

BTW, I'm very sorry there are so many problems with Cyprus and I wish you well. I well remember 1974 when the current problem started. I have read quite a bit about the history of Cyprus. My best wishes to you and your family.

You care about the world so much, this link about the environment may interest you, too.

Thank you for your wonderful blog and keep up the great work.

Thank you very much for your kindness and the link. You're good words are a reflection of you.

To do with contemporary writers, as a quick fix I can suggest two for starters:

Close friend of Pamuk, female author Perihan Mağden (who incidentally also interviewed Tarkan in 2001) is good. You can read some of her work online here, and purchase books here. I can recommend her book 2 Girls.

Plus, the book Mutluluk (Bliss) by award winning musician-turned-politician Zülfü Livaneli is worth a read. You can purchase it (in English) from Amazon. It can also be purchased from Barnes & Noble where it has been shortlisted as a finalist for the 2006 Discover Great New Writers Award in Fiction.

In regard to the singers Zeki Müren and Bülent Ersoy, their songs (mainly) belong in the Turkish classical music category and, as far as I know, there are no sites that adequately translate these classics unfortunately.

As a final note of interest, Tarkan is also classically trained, and so from time to time sings classical songs at his concerts.

<< Want to read more about Turkish culture ?

_____________________

A lady from Panama, Central America writes:

I visit your blog and enchant myself. Please never stop this that you do! You must write everyday. I see one day you do not write and it worries me. Thanks for Tarkan things also.

_____________________

S. Melrose from LA, USA, writes:

Your posts are way insightful. But you have too much Tarkan and other stuff on your blog! Just a suggestion but clear it all out and just write your poetry and your thoughts.

_____________________

T in Texas, USA, writes:

About your post on beauty, I to am a great fan of Helen Mirren and Dame Judi. I have seen The Queen twice and thought Helen Mirren was fantastic and Elizabeth I in which she played queenie again yet again a great film. Funnily enough I have been told a few times by different people I look like a YOUNG judy Dench.. esp by my husband. You are not only my Tarkan link, my poet you also bring tidbits from the UK. Thanks a lot.

P.S My hub prefers Salma to Pamela !!!

_____________________

G from Syria comments:

I'm crazy about Tarkan's voice and his songs..and I appreciate the sites you made about him, and his songs, especially the translations.

_____________________

L.N., a Czech student comments:

I just wanted to thank you for the great translation of Tarkan's songs! I've tried to translate it by myself by Turkish-English dictionary on web, but as I can't speak Turkish (just a few basic expressions) I wasn't that successful. Then I've found your blog I can understand all - finally :)

_____________________

P, from Chile, South America writes,

Maybe you are not surprised of receiving emails from people you don't know. I just wanted to tell you I loved your blog about Tarkan, great work!!! I was surprised to find so much information about this Turkish singer I like so much. Thank you for the translations too, as you can see English is not my best, but it allows me to "come closer". And your thoughts are most interesting.

Saludos desde el Sur del Mundo.

_____________________

MJC from Austin, Texas, writes:

Hello. I'm a big Tarkan fan from the US and I've been trying hard to find Tarkan videos but it's hard. I found a few MPEGS but not many.

I especially want the "Hup" video. Maybe you know of a website that has downloads.

Also, I read some of your poems in the blog and you are an amazing writer. You have interesting ideas and a great style of writing. I'm a writer myself, songs and poems mainly.

PS. I appreciate the translations. I don't understand Turkish, so it's great to know what he's saying.

Thanks for the compliments. Most of Tarkan's videos (including concert and TV clips) have been posted up by fans at YouTube. The music video to his "Hüp" release can be found there. There are two versions, an original Pepsi sponsored music video directed by Turkish/Italian director Ferzan Özpetek and one filmed for the Ozinga remixed version - which is basically a montage of out-takes from the original and concert clips. In case you're wondering, the slogans that crawl along the screen for the latter formed part of a campaign to denounce music piracy.

See also:

<< For more questions and answers about Tarkan see the Tarkan Q & A.

Creative Commons License

© CC License 2004-14. Unless otherwise stated all poetry, prose and art are the original work of the blog owner.