TV Celeb Show: Only One Megastar
A daytime TV celeb gossip show yesterday covered the recent spate of piracy claims directed at Tarkan's award-winning song "Beni Çok Sev", comparing its similarities with a Turkish song released over 30 years ago.
The vocalist of the 80s track spoke to the TV panel via phone link to give her point of view and explain her previous statement that she wanted to "pursue her rights".
Singer Ayşe Mine spoke to say she believed the music to Tarkan's song was indeed a copy of the song she sung in 1984, but that neither Tarkan was to blame, nor the song's lyricist Günay Çoban, with whom she had talked and admired.
"What I said about my rights was in general as I am a singer who has always been overlooked and slighted, I didn't mean I was going to pursue my rights in a court of law on this occasion. I love Tarkan and am uncomfortable with being put in this position," she said.

Tarkan didn't deserve this. He put so much work into it believing it to be an original work. As the old song's vocalist all I'm saying is that it shouldn't have happened." - Ayşe Mine
"I believe with all my heart that Tarkan had no idea about any of this and the people really responsible that need to make a statement are the composer and arranger of the music to Tarkan's song... I'm only the singer, the song in question isn't mine. It was composed by Cengiz Tekin. These people are the ones that need to get together and talk," she went on to say.
UPDATES: Tarkan must apologise over theft >>
Singer makes shocking claim about "unapologetic" Tarkan (2018) >>
Mine explained she had known about the similiarities for five months, but had kept quiet to avoid unwanted publicity. "I'm only the vocalist, I didn't compose the music. Cengiz Tekin is the composer. The media need to ask his opinion about this, not me," she stressed.
"The press is putting me up against Tarkan and I'm really uncomfortable about that... This has nothing to do with me, I have no complaints about Tarkan... It's a shame they are putting him through this. He must have no idea, as he isn't the kind of person who needs to steal someone else's work."
When she was asked by a panel member whether she believed that the music was the same, she said, "It's an exact match. They made an entire song from our song's intro... They sampled too much and embarassed Tarkan in the process. I'm not accusing or judging anyone, but it is plain enough for everyone to hear."
"Take Better Care of Tarkan"
One of the panelists pointed out the irony that the initial three claims of copyright against Tarkan's version, were also in breach of copyright by using the 80s song intro without permission or credit to the original work.
Mine reiterated that the claims of piracy are not for Tarkan to answer, who is blameless, but for composer Serkan İzzet Özdoğan and the person responsible for the musical arrangements. The song's award win had made matters worse, as Tekin would not only require a co-credit and accruing royalities but an award, too.
The three panelists of the celeb gossip show emphasised that Tarkan was blameless and showered praise on Turkish pop's megastar - describing him a sensitive man with "zero ego" and Turkey's greatest star. In a distinct U-turn of tone from last year, the panelists did, however, remind their viewers this was the second piracy claim directed at Tarkan in as many years.
In 2016, the megastar's club-inspired single "Cuppa" was said to have directly lifted its whistling melody from a 2013 club anthem by Australian producer Ben John Grzywacz, known as DJ Uberjak'd.
The panelists called for the artist's music arranger and producers to take better care of him, laying such mistakes firmly at the feet of the music label and its engineers. They were all in agreement that they "only had one megastar" and they didn't want him tarnished with bad press.
Ownership Battle About to Begin
Elsewhere, a music news site has reported that musician Cengiz Tekin is taking legal action against the owners of "Beni Çok Sev".UPDATES: Tarkan song is stolen >>
Second Tekin song stolen >>
The article describes him as a "true man of music" who wrote 2017's song of the year 33 years ago. Said to be "furious" over the theft of his work, Tekin has filed a complaint with the appropriate bodies.
"My advice to my young songwriter friends is not to steal someone else's work! Put your own feelings forward, that's if you have feelings, otherwise you're aren't making music you're making meatballs," he reportedly said.
<< Tarkan's Healing Power | Tarkan News Index | Looking Back with Tarkan >>

Tarkan didn't deserve this. He put so much work into it believing it to be an original work. As the old song's vocalist all I'm saying is that it shouldn't have happened." - Ayşe Mine











<< Back to Main Page