Columnists Talk Album Delays
"It's Worth the Wait"
Female Sabah correspondent Ayşe Özyılmazel has covered the postponement of Tarkan's eagerly-awaited 2010 album in an article dated 16 July.
Headlined, "Tarkan Has Delayed Again", Özyılmazel opens her article by saying that she hopes this will be Tarkan's final delay.
"If this album is postponed a little bit longer, the fans really will rebel. I had listened to Tarkan's latest album "Adımı Kalbine Yaz" before anyone else and wrote about it in my Wednesday column. I had scribbled that it was a wonderful album that would make the fans happy, and had added that it would be in the shops on Friday.
"Wishful thinking... [The delays have] happened again. Because Tarkan couldn't disappoint his fans. How so? Well it seems that his fanatics got in touch over the internet when they heard the album held just six new songs and remixes; complaints poured in that six songs wasn't enough after such a long wait. And it seems Tarkan couldn't disappoint his fans and decided to add two more songs at the last moment.
"Just as it was all finished, Tarkan has closed himself up in the studio with his producer Ozan Çolakoğlu, working day and night. It was such a last moment thing that music company DMC - which had bought the bandrolls for the album - has now been left empty-handed. So think of [how] last moment [it was].
"So that's why Tarkan fan, don't go running to the shops demanding your Tarkan album! Grit your teeth, wait a little while longer! Maybe a week, maybe 10 days, maybe until the end of the month... When these last two songs are finished, you'll have some brand new Tarkan songs in the palm of your hand. We've suffered delays again. Humph! But let me tell you... it's worth it."
"Tarkan's Album Like the Stock Market"
In his column for paper Milliyet, music critic Mehmet Tez writes in his 17 July dated article that Tarkan's album is done, but seems to have difficulty being released.
"It's done, but it's just not falling from the tree. I knocked on Ozan Çolakoğlu's door, wanting to listen to this album, too. Scheduled to be out this weekend, because of Tarkan wanting to add two new songs, "Adımı Kalbine Yaz" has been postponed," Tez writes.
"I've listened to the album and made my notes. The album should have been released as you read these sentences, because last Monday Tarkan's latest album "Adımı Kalbine Yaz" was sent to the factory. It has been waiting for the thumbs up since Monday. But "Tarkan's final strike" is failing to hit out.
"Subsequently, with Tarkan wanting to add two new songs at the last moment, the album, scheduled to be out today, has been postponed.
"However, from the certain piece of information I do have, the album will definitely be out before Tarkan's two concerts at the [Harbiye] on 31 July and 1 August.
"Tarkan is singing a lot of songs and has amassed these in the past two years. Some he takes to sing, some he doesn't like and bins. Sometimes when the album is just about to be completed, he says that he wants to redo a song again, and so they have to start from scratch. Please hurry up for goodness sake, summer is nearly over.
"On to the album:
- -When I started listening to the album, I thought that this time Tarkan's comeback is probably going to be great. The passing years over the English album, and his anxiety about making a career in America had distanced him a lot from over here.
- -The lyrics to "Acımayacak" by Mithat Can (I wonder how much help he had from his mother [Sezen Aksu]?) will be loved a lot. It is similar to Tarkan's old hits.
- -The song that hooked me is "Sen Çoktan Gitmişsin". The arrangements to the song are amazing, too. Lyrics by Sezen Aksu, music by Ozan Çolakoğlu. It is a calm piece, what you'd call a "mid-tempo" song. We don't have much of this kind in our pop music...
- -"Adımı Kalbine Yaz" is a very allaturca song. Those that miss the old Tarkan will like this song. From what I've been told, the dance remix to this song will be the first video single from the album.
- -In order of play, "Sevdanın Son Vuruşu", "Acımayacak", "Kayıp", "Öp", "Adımı Kalbine Yaz", "Sen Çoktan Gitmişsin" named songs are in the album. There are five remixes. Two for "Sevdanın Son Vuruşu", one each for "Acımayacak", "Öp" and "Adımı Kalbine Yaz" tracks.
- -The remixes are by Kıvanç K., Suat Ateşdağlı, Ozan Çolakoğlu, and Gürsel Çelik.
- -People shouldn't expect "hands in the air" songs or Serdar Ortaç type catchy songs that immediately stick in the mind. These songs are things that acquire worth over time.
"The information in this article may be defunct by Monday. Because news about Tarkan's album is like the stock market, nothing is ever certain. These are the current developments for now. Let's all wait and see."
"The Situation is Unfair"
Finally, celebrity correspondent for Haberturk, Oben Budak has added a final paragraph in his 20 July dated article, complaining about how readers seem to blame him when Tarkan's album gets postponed.
"I always give out detailed information about every Tarkan album, but it always blows up in my face and I get the blame [when things go wrong]. This year is the same, every time I write something, the album is postponed, and those waiting get angry at me. That's why I've decided not to write anything about [the album's] latest version. It looks like the album's release date will be 30 July, but it's not definite, at least don't blame me if it isn't.
"And if Tarkan would deign to update his official site and share the information from there it would be better. I'm getting letters from so many unhappy fans waiting in expectation, you can't imagine the heartbreak in their writings. This situation is definitely unfair, I agree!" Budak exclaims.