Manifesto Translations Prose & Poetry Letters to B Musings Words Culture & Music Other Works Copyright
Official Site Q & A Biography Discography Concert Reports Magazine Reports Articles News Reports News Videos Pictures Pick of the Day Links

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Tarkan Unites

By Adelind Osmanlı reporting from Munich, Germany

Oben Budak's article in HaberturkWith columnists in the Turkish media leaking out some tantalising titbits about Tarkan's 2010 album, celebrity correspondent for Haberturk, Oben Budak has also revealed some more information on Tarkan's 2010 album, as he had previously tweeted he would do.

From the information Budak has released, it seems that Tarkan's 2010 musical offering is set to unite most critics on what will be seen as his best album in nearly a decade, if first impressions prove true.

Budak's article, published in the paper version of Haberturk's Saturday edition dated 15 May and online, talks of Sezen Aksu songs, Yıldız Tilbe lyrics and a first-time collaboration with songwriter Günay Çoban - who had praised the Turkish megastar in a 2009 report.

"Tarkan Gets My Vote!"

Headlined as "I've listened to Tarkan's new songs, they get my vote!", Budak says at first that his initial reaction to "Sevdanın Son Vuruşu" ("Love's Last Strike") was a negative one thanks to American influences.

"With friends in my hotel room in New York, when Rahşan (Gülşan) tweeted that I could "hear Tarkan's new song at www.tarkan.com" we naturally took ourselves over there. As I'm trying to eagerly work out the song, my American friend asks, "Is this an Arabic song?" And then when my completely Yankee-fied friend turns his nose up at the song, under that influence I initially discarded "Sevdanın Son Vuruşu".

"It was a decision taken in panic, because it seemed there was something missing in the song. Like, making us wait this long, Tarkan should have come back with something different, I thought. I wanted something that could be grabbed immediately, and listen to it all summer long. This is what I was dreaming of really.

Love Strikes Twice

"After hearing a more mature song from him, instead of taking a stand in memory of that, in my panic I added myself to the blackballing campaign against Tarkan. But even so far away when I was warned "not to speak until I had heard the whole album" I "cut my American holiday short" (I've always wanted to say that) and ran back to Turkey to listen to Tarkan's album.

"Before I arrived, when I got the news that "Sevdanın Son Vuruşu" wasn't a first release from the album, but just a sample to test public reaction, I was relieved.

"When I got into the car of a man whose name I can't reveal for now from Tarkan's camp, the first song he put on for me to hear was the fast version of "Sevdanın Son Vuruşu". I remember screaming, "This is it!" in the car. At first I was saying that there was something missing, that stirring Tarkan effect had been missing [from the first version], but it's found in this other version, a big hit!

"Move Out the Way, Tarkan's Coming!"

"Upon hearing the solely Tarkan penned song "Adımı Kalbine Yazdım" ("Wrote My Name in Your Heart") it made up my mind for me in that instant; this song reproaching a loved one will make many a listener get drunk and cry!

"And the sexy song where Tarkan sings he can't get enough of kissing his love is one of the tracks we're going to be dancing most to this summer.

"Then of course we moved on to the [Sezen Aksu] tracks and the one she did with [her son] Mithat Can "Acımayacak" ("It Won't Hurt"), which will complete the trilogy of unforgettable hits started with "Şıkıdım" (A-acayipsin, 1994) and "Şımarık" (Ölürüm Sana, 1997). Everyone's going to go crazy to this one, let me tell you.

"And if you want a bit of melancholia, Sezen's hit "Üşüdüm" ("I'm Cold") will drag you far away. And the song titled "Kayıp" ("Lost") has Günay Çoban's signature all over it, a man I'm mad about as much as his songs. And the songs composed by Tarkan on to Yıldız Tilbe lyrics are really cool, too!

Tarkan Unites

"Even though Tarkan has written social commentary songs like "Uyan", when we first think of him we think of songs that gives us butterflies inside. But there is one song Tarkan sings on the album called "Ceylan" which stands out from the rest.

"This song, which Sezen Aksu wrote in tribute to a little girl called Ceylan who lost her life when she inadvertently came across a bomb in Diyarbakır in September 2009, at the same time beautifully describes the mosaic nature of Turkey. If music unites, after Sezen Aksu, Tarkan is the best name to do this."

New Image Coming Soon

Budak ends his piece by revealing that there will be different album art to the one distributed with "Sevdanın Son Vuruşu", and that as Tarkan Deluxe correspondent Mark Mayhey had predicted, Budak writes that Tarkan has shelved his David LaChapelle photo shoot for now.

"Even the cover for the album, set to be released in the last week of May, has been completed. Unfortunately the David LaChapelle shoot I wrote about some time ago has been shelved for now. Deciding afterwards that the photos were too strong, Tarkan is waiting for the right time to release them.

"For those wondering about the new shoot, I think it's enough for me to say that [female stylist] Ceyda Balaban is heading the project.

"And Monday's Kral TV VMAs are a must-watch, because Tarkan will be opening the event with his new song," Budak writes.

<< The Boss is Back | Tarkan News Index | Going All Romantic >>

Creative Commons License

© CC License 2004-14. Unless otherwise stated all poetry, prose and art are the original work of the blog owner.